Friday 17 February 2017

Snowdrop Time

Its that time of year again when everyone should find some time to stop and enjoy the snowdrops. I had convinced myself they were late this year, but looking back to last year's post I see that they are about on track. Hopefully the cooler weather this year will keep them in bloom for as long as possible.

My regular spot for snowdrops is Oulton churchyard (VC63), and I've described the species present in more detail previously. So I'll stick to the photos this time.

Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis f. nivalis)

flore pleno Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis f. pleniflorus)

Green Snowdrop (Galanthus woronowii)

Elsewhere at Mickletown this charming dwarf (note sycamore leaf for scale) Snowdrop with tiny flowers was just coming into bloom.


Back in the churchyard there were a few plants of Crocus x luteus 'Golden Yellow' (syn 'Dutch Yellow') to add some zing to the late winter scene.



No comments:

Post a Comment